So, I’m late with this post. I finished sewing and photographing a few days ago, because procrastination, but I have been struggling to write. In general actually. I don’t know if it is all the chaos in the world, or just a lull in my desire to write, but ugh. In particular, I am struggling to write this because I didn’t like this pattern. I don’t like the fit. I very much disliked the instructions. I’m sad because I’ve been wanting to make a swimsuit out of this fabric for a year!
Let’s just dive in. I’ll highlight some positives. This pattern is the First Crush Swimsuit from Rad Patterns. It has tons of options. You can make so many different styles for all your preferences. I had originally planned to make a suit for each of my sisters as well, because we could each pick exactly the options we wanted. After sewing up mine, I’m going to assess fit on my gorgeous sister (thankfully, I am right in between the two of them for size) and if they’re happy, I’ll move forward. If not, we’ll pick other patterns.
I really can’t comment on why this construction is so complicated. I got about halfway through construction, thought I had fucked something up and just did my own thing. After I finished, I realized I hadn’t messed up at all, the instructions just weren’t clear. At all. This 100% could just be me. Maybe I was just in a bad place for sewing and it makes perfect sense to everyone else. If this pattern interests you, please don’t let one opinion completely discourage you. Ask in the group, or look for someone else who has sewn it. But it was just a hot mess for me.
The end result fits, but not at all how I want it to. The back armscye is too wide and cuts into my arm when I’m moving. The bottom of the bust is not fitted enough to be secure to my preferences (I’d use a wider elastic there if I were to make it again). And the top of the bottoms annoys me. The inside is constantly flipping out. I much prefer either a wider elastic, so the topstitching can be further from the edge, or, even better, to sew the lining and outer right sides together, with elastic in the seam. This helps keep the lining inside better, and gives a cleaner finish to the top edge.
Overall, there are a LOT of things I would need to change to make this pattern again. If I LOVED the fit, I’d definitely tackle it. Construction changes are no big deal for me. But with how it fits me, eh. Unless someone I sew for specifically requests it, this one won’t be a repeat for me. If someone does choose it, they’ll definitely be getting a muslin first.
I’m really glad I powered through and got something out of this. Really hoping it fits well for someone else who might like to wear this one.
I hope you’re staying inside, not going batty, and finding some time to take care of yourself, as well as your loved ones. Sending love from Georgia!
3 thoughts on “Work It: Edition 3.2”
Thanks so much for this blog post! I was just sewing up a pair of cigarette pants today (which took some consideration, since my body type doesn’t always do well with fitted garments!). Even after making some adjustments I’m feeling “meh” about them and SO FRUSTRATED, like apparently I’m the only one that can’t tackle this pattern. Thanks for the reminder that not everyone is immediately successful with every pattern, and not every pattern looks great on everyone right away!
I love the fabric. You look amazing but the top looks too wide in the back. There are just patterns which don’t work for you – try them and move on. 🙂
No sarcasm here. Nice designs. Good colors. Great fits. Impressive. Thanks for sharing.